Sunday, November 3, 2019

Meaning of MY Life!


I was born on Teacher’s day – 5th September, much to the delight of my parents and grandparents. My parents had three daughters, and as was the norm then, were happy to see a baby boy in the mix. My grandfather, who had built a Ganesha temple at our native village of Nerur, had just completed the ‘Kumbhabhishekam’ of that temple! Hence, he not only named me Ganesh, but asked a jeweler to open his shop and bought me a gold chain to adorn my waist! Like little Ganesha, I was a very naughty chap and my vague memory of my younger days were my periodical thrashings from my father and my fights with my immediate elder sister. My father, being in a place without much of schooling facility, sent me to a boarding school at the age of 6 or 7. I was reluctant to leave my mother and go but had no choice. Nevertheless, that experience of staying away from home at such a young age made me adjust to all situations and made we what people today call a ‘people magician’.

I rejoined my parents as they moved to a large city when I was in my 9th grade. Teenage years were fun. All girls in the class looked ravishing beauties! Obviously, you have a crush on most of them. Outdoor games were the norm. My parents used to shout at us for being outdoors all the time. Cricket, Lagori, ball Badminton, Tennis – you name it, we played it all. We did not leave indoor games either. Life was a carefree endeavour without much thought about the ensuing day. Then came the time when we had to enter college. Only then I slowly realized that I must do well and get a job! That seemed to be the priority in life and the sole purpose at that point in time. My college mates were brilliant and you cannot be a duffer when the whole class oozes with brilliance. I did well in studies and got a probationary officer’s job in a Nationalized Bank – a prestige those days. My life’s ambition and purpose seemed to be over!

It was at this juncture, my brother-in-law introduced me to Vedanta lectures by a Swamiji of the Arsha Vidya Gurukulam founded by Swami Dayananda Saraswathi. These lectures, including topics like Bhagavad Gita, Mandukya Upanishad etc., gave a different perspective on life. It set me thinking and I attended more lectures including those by Swami Parthasarathy and a host of others. I read a lot of books on Vedanta and non-dual literature. I built a house, got married and had children – activities that most of us did as part of living. However, my value system had a solid foundation in our Vedic tradition.

My wife’s brother gifted me a book titled ‘COSMOS’ by Carl Sagan which rekindled my interest in Physics (though I was a honours student, I hardly knew Physics, but scored very high marks!). Being away in the US, without the family, helped me to read a lot of books on cosmology and Quantum Physics. On the one hand, the vast expanse of the empty space extending to billons of light years, accentuated our insignificance as a species. On the other, to know that the distant galaxies and we are made up of the same stuff, made my mind expand as vast as this Universe. I was often wonderstruck at the grandeur of creation. If this was macrocosm, the quantum physics was the microcosm. The concepts and discussions on reality seemed to be mind boggling! The modern scientific thoughts seem to be converging on what non-dual Advaita talked about thousands of years ago – Adi Sankara being the one who expounded it with his Bhashyas.

Once you are born, you have to die! That is the only thing that is certain. In between we live a life and as I had explained, go through various phases of life which has also been explained beautifully in the Sastras. The million-dollar question is, “Is there a purpose or meaning in life?” Great minds have discussed this over centuries. I am too small a person to attempt this. Nevertheless, I shall attempt to do so purely from MY perspective.

Sankara defines Reality at three levels. It must be understood that Reality is only one and for our easy understanding three different perspectives were discussed. For our present discussion, we shall restrict it to two. The first level is the ‘Vyavaharika Sathyam’ – transactional reality or empirical reality. This is what we experience as the phenomenal world of appearances that we take to be real. The subject-object duality. The other perspective is ‘Paramarthika Sathyam’ – Absolute Reality - which is the highest Truth or ONLY ontological reality – that is Brahman. 

From an Absolute Reality perspective, the entire creation of names and forms that we see are technically called “Mithya” – neither real or unreal and many times wrongly attributed as “illusory”. Then such a construct begs an answer to the question as to why this Absolute one appears as many? What is the purpose etc. Even the great Sankara answered that it is ‘anirvachaniya’ – inexplicable. Hence there is no point in discussing our life’s purpose from an absolute stand point.

However, our scriptures state that, as explained earlier, the world of pluralities is ‘Mithya” which is caused due to ‘Avidya’ or ignorance and our sole purpose in life is to transcend this ignorance through rigorous self-knowledge and become one with the Absolute. This is what modern Gurus call ‘Awakening’. However, most of us do not bother to go anywhere near such an endeavour, including yours truly except for feeble attempts from the periphery!

Hence for our discussion, coming down to our phenomenal world is more appropriate. Do I have a purpose in life? I have taken sessions to managers on Purpose and goals etc., But seriously come to think of it, life, in MY humble view, does not have any stated purpose. We lead a life, trying to be a good human being, socially responsible, being helpful to others, follow your ashrama dharma’s, take care of those who are less fortunate than you, pursue your passion etc., Pablo Picasso summed it up succinctly when he said,” The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to gift it away!” If we analyze life more than this, I feel that we cannot find any answers. Victor Frankl, a nazi camp survivor, wrote the classic ‘Man’s Search for meaning’ and he believes that individuals are strongly motivated to find meaning in their lives, understand the nature of their personal existence and feel it is significant and purposeful. I believe that it is very psychologically satisfying to feel so. All of us need to become, what modern Psychologists call, a ‘Self-actualized’ person.

However, I am a dreamer and philosopher at heart. I would go with Emerson, who said,

“To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and affection of Children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a little bit better, by a healthy child,
A garden patch or redeemed social condition;
To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.”

Nothing more, nothing less. I equate success with living.

Bertrand Russell one of the greatest thinkers of modern times talks about this very eloquently in his book “The conquest of Happiness” as follows:

“The happy man is the man who does not suffer from either of these two failures of unity, whose personality is neither divided against itself nor pitted against the world. Such a man feels himself a citizen of the universe, enjoying freely the spectacle it offers and the joys that it affords, untroubled by the thought of death because he feels himself not really separate from those who will come after him. It is in such profound instinctive union with the stream of life that the greatest joy is to be found”.

With such profound thoughts in the background, I go through life enjoying the spectacle it offers always believing that the Universe is unfolding as it should.

Despite all the trappings of success and achievements of the phenomenal world, the fundamental yearning for that limitless freedom and to be one with the Absolute will remain with us forever. It is simple yet not easy to achieve. There has to be an intense desire to achieve that in this lifetime followed by sustained efforts in that direction. Unfortunately, for most of us, neither the desire nor the efforts seem to be forthcoming. We seem to be contented with the fleeting joys and achievements of the empirical world!

As for me, I shall renew my attempts with more resolve and vigour, now that this question has been asked of me!



17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Balaji. It is not easy to become "Anandha!"

      Delete
  2. Well expressed 👍 I am blessed to meet you in my life 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sivakumar. The feeling is mutual. All of us meet each other in life with a purpose!

      Delete
  3. Mama, Thank you. I didn't understand most of it but you are so well read and quote of lot of great people. You wrote : "Pablo Picasso summed it up succinctly when he said,” The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to gift it away!” This really made me pause and think about my life. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been in awe of your clarity and willingness to share. The ability to find the purpose and then to gift it away speaks volumes about self.worth and dispassionate realization. Moving oneself away from ownership over the purpose needs vairagya and viveka. Pranams for opening the Vista for chitra vriitis.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words madam. I guess it needs to be a constant endeavour!

      Delete
  4. I could understand only half of the content. But I believe Kannadasan large extent has put all these in few great songs from him. மனிதன் நினைப்பது உண்டு வாழ்வு நிலைக்குமென்று, ஆறு மனமே ஆறு, வீடு வரை உறவு.சட்டி சுட்டதடா are few indicative songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, lot of Kannadasan's song had such profound meanings as he was a scholar of Hindu thoughts. You should start getting into basic Advaita Siddantam to be able to appreciate the nuances. I am sure you have a Library there and now is the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well conceived and expressive thoughts with clarity on non-duality. I shall also try to enjoy the gift of life and gift away the life to others as much as possible. Thanks Ganeshji for such a nice article..I am just evolving slowly and steadily...

      Delete
  6. Anna very happy to read this it took some time for me to understand now fully understood that is why we like to talk to you very frequently

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life's goal must be to realise that advaita philosophy or realise one's self. Innerself is nothing different that what other human beings are or any living objects. However it is very difficult to achieve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good explanation (as usual)..Purpose of life is to- live, love, learn from the loss,raise again, create a legacy and leaving the world a slightly better place than when you came here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes indeed dear Rajan. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good afternoon sir
    Koti pranams
    I have no words to express it is indeed a wonderful piece of rich rich experiencevm8c3d with moral and spiritual inputs in fact a glory to success God be with all to enrich such feelings and thoughts and pray almighty for your involvement in all activities as usual for the benefit of mankind and society lokha samastha dukino bhavnthu

    Viswanathan mt 11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir. Sorry for my belated response.

      Delete